565 Main Street
Daniel Bartlett House, 1835
565 Main Street is a fine example of a home transformed during Hingham’s 1880s’ fascination with Queen Anne style architecture. Built in 1835 in Greek Revival style, its first owner was Daniel W. Bartlett (1801-1871), a native of Barnet, Vermont who arrived in Hingham in the 1820s. He was a setwork cooper by occupation, a maker of woodenware, which included Hingham’s famous buckets. The house was home to his second wife. His first, Lydia Gardner (1805-1832) died shortly after the birth of their second child. He married Lydia W. Wilder (1811-1889) on November 10, 1833 and they had five additional children, of which only one, a daughter, Mary E. Bartlett (1846-1891), survived into adulthood. She married Edward F. Wilder (1846-1927) on November 3, 1867.
It was after Edward Wilder bought the house from his mother-in-law around 1880 that the structure was renovated into the popular Queen Anne style of the age. The additions included a bay window on the first floor, dormers to the second floor, highlighted by hexagon shaped shingles, and a portico with a piazza out front. The expansion allowed Mrs. Wilder to continue to live in the house along with the two Wilder children, son Edward Russell Wilder (1869-1950) and daughter Emily Cushing Wilder (1876-1960), along with a live-in servant. Edward also added a stable on the property and ran a business out of it until he sold that after a brief illness in 1888. After his mother Mary’s death in 1891, Edward married Carrie A. Newton (1861-1950) on March 1, 1892. They did not have any children. The stable burned in April 1895 under mysterious circumstances and killed two of the horses inside. Two years prior, a suspicious littering of spent matches had been discovered near the barn, prompting a report of the incident in the Hingham Journal. Between 1895 and 1904 the house was rented during the summer to Fred E. Newell and family.
Edward’s sister, Emily Cushing Wilder married Frank E. Moore (b. 1879), a brass candle manufacturer, on August 9, 1900 who then bought the house in 1905 for his family which included a son, Wilder (b. 1903), and a daughter, Elizabeth (b. 1905). Shortly after, an ornamental retaining wall was added to the front of the house in 1909. Around this time Frank Moore suffered from an apparent debilitating illness, as he is listed as retired from age 35 in 1910 onward in the town’s street listings and passes away around 1920. The house remained in the possession of Emily Cushing Moore until 1958 when it was sold to Christus and Dorothy Anastos. It since has had several additional owners, but the street view of the house has changed little in that time.